Green Event Certification :
Green event certification helps event planners reduce their impact in a range of areas, including catering and food, venues, and waste reduction.
Completed green event applications – including documentation as laid out in the Resource Guide – should be sent to the Office of Sustainability at least 1 week before the event date.
Events can now be certified under three categories: green, zero waste, and zero waste green.
Green Event Certification encourages, recognizes and celebrates the voluntary sustainable efforts that event organizers take to reduce the environmental, social and financial costs of their event.
It also creates an opportunity to inform and engage event attendees in sustainable practices.
- Use our Green Event Planning Checklist to obtain tips and ideas on how to plan your event.
- It’s easy to certify your event. Fill Enquiry prior to your event if possible (though afterward is still ok!).
- Serving food? Refer to following Green Event standard guidelines.
Does a formal certification have to be in place or can we count green event practices?
A formal program must be in place. Simply referencing efforts to make events greener in the absence of a formal program is not sufficient.
Example of Green Event Certifications :
- American University – Clear indication that green event guidelines are in place. Each Yes response is affirmed in the descriptive text.
- Simon Fraser University – Clear indication that a formal events certification program is in place. Website URL includes downloadable event certification checklists.
- University of California, Santa Barbara – Clear indication that a formal events certification program is in place. Each Yes response is affirmed in the descriptive text.
Common Issues Identified During Review for Green Event
- A green event certification program that has certified one or more events in the previous year must be in place. Simply referencing initiatives to make events greener is not sufficient in the absence of a certification program.
- Descriptive response should support each affirmative response indicated at the top of the credit (at least four).
Benefits of Green Event :
Green Event can have tremendous benefits, both tangible and intangible. The most tangible benefits are the reduction in wasting time towards following cycle towards event management.
Green Event rating system is designed for Administrative campuses, Convention centers, Educational campuses, Healthcare campuses, Hospitality campuses, IT parks, Industrial parks, Leisure & Recreational campuses, Military campuses, Religious or everyone, etc.,.
- The rating awarded for the Green Event would be valid for a period of 3 years & Surveillance to be done every year.
- Thereafter, have to apply for re-certification with the prevailing version.
For Quick response :